Saturday, March 2, 2024

Misophonia How Sound Rage Destroys Relationships and Forces People To Move Home


Jamie Grill/Getty Images/Tetra Images RF

As a teenager, I remember being moved almost to tears by the sound of a family member chewing muesli. A friend eating dumplings once forced me to flee the room. The noises one former housemate makes when chomping popcorn mean I have declined their invitations to the cinema for nearly 20 years.

I am not proud of myself for reacting like this – in fact, I am pretty embarrassed – but my responses feel unavoidable. It is probable that I have misophonia. According to a forthcoming scientific paper from King’s College London, so do 18% of people in the UK.

Otherwise known as “sound rage”, misophonia is “a decreased tolerance to certain sounds” says Dr Jane Gregory, a clinical psychologist at the University of Oxford who co-authored the paper and counts herself among the 18%…

No comments:

Post a Comment

7 Types of Renewable Energy: The Future of Energy

Getty Renewable energy  is energy that has been derived from earth’s natural resources that are not finite or exhaustible, such as wind and ...