Monday, May 27, 2024

The Pregnancy Penalty: Dismantling Stigmas In The Workplace


GETTY

Pregnancy can be one of the most transformative experiences in a woman’s life. But for many, a positive test also heightens anxiety about one’s career, and how others will react to the news. During my first pregnancy I gained weight early on, and remember one of my bosses saying it looked like I had one too many client lunches.

I hadn’t told anyone. I then felt compelled to share the news sooner than planned. This set the tone and I didn’t take maternity leave thinking if I did, someone would replace me. I also didn’t pump. Breast pumps were enormous and noisy and didn’t fit easily under your blouse like they do today.

There were so many stigmas, and zero laws to protect pregnant women from discrimination. And if you were fortunate enough to even be given maternity leave, it was often unpaid. Unfortunately, many stigmas surrounding pregnancy still exist, and I was pregnant 30 years ago..Continue reading

By: 

Source: The Pregnancy Penalty: Dismantling Stigmas In The Workplace

.

Read more:

New Workplace Pregnancy And Breastfeeding Rights That Workers Need To Know Forbes 18:29 Tue, 30 Apr 

In the last hour
In the last 4 hours
In the last 6 hours
In the last 8 hours
Yesterday
Saturday
Thursday

Workplace besties Bangalore Mirror 05:31 Sat, 25 May 


Comments

Leave a Reply

No comments:

Post a Comment

Streamlining Inheritance Planning For Bitcoiners

Meanwhile Inheritance planning is one of the most prudent actions a Bitcoiner can take. Unfortunately, it’s not as popular within the commun...